FG begins evacuation of Nigerians in Iran

The Federal Government has begun the evacuation of willing Nigerians in Iran, escorting them across the Armenian border to ensure their safety amid escalating tensions in the Middle East.

The evacuation follows the growing crisis that began on February 28 after coordinated military strikes on Iran by the United States and Israel, which triggered retaliatory missile and drone attacks across parts of the region and raised fears of a wider conflict.

Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of the Nigerians in Diaspora Commission Abike Dabiri-Erewa, disclosed this in a post on her X handle on Tuesday.

She said officials of the Nigerian Embassy in Tehran are coordinating the evacuation of Nigerians who wish to leave the country and are facilitating their safe passage into Armenia.

Dabiri-Erewa also reassured that no Nigerian in Iran has so far been affected by the ongoing tensions, noting that embassy officials remain stationed at the border to receive and assist evacuees.

Her post read, “Willing Nigerians being escorted across the Armenian border by officials of the Nigerian embassy in Iran for safe passage. No Nigerian in Iran has been affected by the war as officials remain at the border to receive all who want to leave.”

The development comes as tensions in parts of the Middle East continue to raise concerns over the safety of foreign nationals residing in affected areas.

By: Deborah Musa

spot_imgspot_img

Related articles

My ancestry search ended in Lagos royal family — US-born Nigerian, Olomo

By Ayoola Olasupo   Can you take us through your professional...

Eno reaffirms support for Ibom Air, Uyo maintenance, repair facility

Akwa Ibom State Governor, Umo Eno, has reaffirmed his...

Cricket: Nigeria seal W’Cup promotion with tournament record

By Abiodun Adewale    The Junior Yellow Greens produced one of...

NSCDC trains 260 private security officers in Abuja

By Gilbert Ekugbe    The Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps,...

Nigeria must export better, not more under China zero-tariff — FG

By Deborah Musa    The Federal Government has said Nigeria must...